Ever since the hip 70’s of the last century, video poker has steadily been conquering the weak poker-crushed hearts of casino patrons. Video poker is ranked the second most popular casino game, losing only to slot machines and winning over real-life poker.
There was an innovative evolution that traditional poker practices had to undergo before the first video poker machines, the devices for playing video poker, were introduced to the gambling world. We suspect you’ve wondered about how video poker emerged in the realm of casino circuits. Therefore, we will provide an in-depth outline of the development of video poker, from its very first appearance in the smoke-packed casinos of Nevada’s Sin City to the gradual advancement of this game into the lives of finicky “play-or-die” faddist gamblers.
As you must’ve already tumbled to, a video poker machine is a more elaborate and advanced version of a poker machine from which it originated. The first poker machine appeared in 1891 owing to the Sittman and Pitt company. It comprised five drums each containing ten images of playing cards. Later in 1898, Charles Fey, a mechanic from San Francisco, created the poker machine he named “Card Bell.” This machine paid ten coins for a royal flush.
Charles Fey kept experimenting with gambling gadgets and moved on to invent the poker machine he named “Skill Draw.” It contained a hold feature allowing the player to hold one or more cards and is now considered to be the first five card poker machine. From that time up to the 70’s, the history of gambling witnessed a significant business trend toward the manufacturing of poker machines produced one by one in extreme multitudes. It wasn’t until the beginning of the seventies that a company called Dale Electronics came up with a brilliant idea to upgrade the performance of poker machines by adding a video feature in their operational mechanism.
The pioneering video poker machine was called “Poker-Matic.” It didn’t take long for similar video poker gears to proliferate across Vegas casinos thereby hallmarking the successful onset of a brand-new era in gambling. However, the further explosion of video poker frenzy, along with the hype surrounding video poker machines wouldn’t have taken on such a tremendous shape if it hadn’t been for a guy named Si Redd. Making a living as a distributor for Bally’s Gaming, he introduced his bosses to a new game called “Video Poker” aiming to lead the company into the newly born trend of modern gambling.
Little did those bosses know about how trendy the lucky ticket they could get adopting this game, and hence neglected Redd’s offer. Their reaction was probably due to some conservative principles they were following in their business strategy. Instead, the executives suggested Redd himself take the patent. Moreover, the guy was smart enough to grab that opportunity and push his start-up project through, but this time Redd made a deal with the Fortune Coin Company. In the end, Redd founded his own company, Si Redd’s Coin Machines. Right after, Si Redd started establishing his company’s dramatic name by manufacturing his video poker games. This manufacturing began the mass production of video poker machines.
There are many substantial reasons why video poker machines have been attracting billions of gamblers ever since. Here are the most common causes.
1. Well, first of all, video poker machines took over the players’ passion and time at the expense of the cons of other old-school gambling games: many gamblers were sick and tired of the original set of rules they had to follow when playing at a casino table. These same gamblers were utterly enticed by an innovational video-based game. It’s no wonder many of them switched to video poker machines that could offer them something beyond the usual.
2. Another highlight of these machines is the high percentage of their payout. The high rate of disbursement can be explained by the main distinctive feature of video poker – a player’s rival is not a real player, but a machine with artificial intelligence that covers neither analytical thinking nor an in-depth understanding of what’s going on. Moreover, most video games use the Jack or Better system which implies that once a gambler has acquired a pair of Jacks or Betters, they’ll certainly get paid.
3. Video poker machines are famous for their low house advantage. Furthermore, you can narrow it down even more with a winning strategy and sufficient knowledge and luck. The matter of technique in video poker gaming will briefly be covered next.
4. The favorable outcome of video poker is mainly contingent on a proper strategy. So, picking a win-win strategy or developing one by yourself is the top component of the hierarchy that establishes your preparedness for a game.
5. You can keep track of the game quality while playing video poker. All the information you need to know, including how much you earned, how much the house takes, what its edge is, and so on is located on the screen of the game.
6. Choosing the pace, you will be playing at is all up to you, while in blackjack, roulette, casino table games this part is left to the dealer. Moreover, because there’s no dealer inside video poker machines, you get to determine the pace all by yourself and for yourself. Long live self-rule.
The extensive distribution of video poker into nearly every segment of the commercial sphere has broadened the access to video poker machines making it possible for gamblers to let their guard down at a rural train station or international airport. The growing number of these devices has dramatically facilitated players’ tedious journeys to the nearest gambling location because such places can now be found within reach. Who knows, maybe in a few years, there will be the latest version of video poker machines installed in big city malls. Alternatively, these poker machines could be set up in popular franchise fast-food cafes like McDonald’s or Starbucks. Given such a steady and galloping advancement of this gambling sector growing red-hot right from the steamy seventies, it’s entirely reasonable to expect the best when it comes to video poker.
Have you ever wondered how to bet faster, more efficiently, and at any time, day or night? If so, you’ve probably heard about certain automated programs called gambling bots. The latter are a kind of software which uses specific algorithms, in order to interact with websites APIs and place bets without human input. These innovative […]
Blackjack can definitely be described as one of the simplest and most commonly encountered casino games for you to play. It has a minimal house edge, which can be as low as 1%; or even lower, once you follow the blackjack strategy. The basic strategy of blackjack is usually presented in the form of a […]
The penultimate World Poker Tournament of the current year will take place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, with a guaranteed award of $2 million up for grabs! The WPT Seminole Rock ‘N’ Roll Poker Open is one of the WPT tournaments that serves to mark the end of the year for poker […]
It is common knowledge that casino businesses are never short of money. This is a very lucrative industry, and if the wages of regular workers are usually much higher than in any other service industry, we can only imagine how wealthy the owners must be! And of course, those who run the world’s biggest gambling […]
On Monday September 14, MGM announced that it plans to open its first smoke-free casino at the end of September, when Park MGM will finally reopen its venues to players and tourists. The resort comprises around 2,990 rooms and various restaurants, and it’s set to be reopened on September 30. The venue has been closed […]
Online gambling has undoubtedly taken a place of true supremacy over the casino industry during the pandemic. And the reason for that is quite clear: online casinos are more accessible, and you can always count on some encouragement from the casino administration to help you boost your game. However, this digital revolution has only been […]
The large selection of online gambling sites out there can make players somewhat puzzled, and give them a feeling of uncertainty about making the right choice of casino. Each online gambling venue offers its own conditions, games, and various bonuses, of course; but the most important thing is the reliability of the casino and the […]
To be or not to be? This question is bothering thousands of players out there, who are all busy contemplating their playing strategies. “Should I bet more?” Or, “is it all about luck?” These are just some of the many questions that have been bothering people who are keen on casino games; and quite honestly, […]